Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Lewis Allan "Lou" Reed (March 2, 1942 – October 27, 2013)


In college, the student union had a small record store that I spent entirely too much of my living expenses there.  Every time I went to search music out which was often, they had VU and Nico playing.  Being in an environment where you are searching for knowledge it was impossible to ignore.  I ended up scoring all four of the VU albums in a used bin during the first summer in college.   It truly was part of my education.  I saw Lou Reed three times; the first on my college campus and it was mind blowing for me.  He was and still is an important artist in my musical education. 


Lou Reed at New York State University at Stony Brook Gym; September 21, 1984


ROBERT QUINE, guitar
FERNANDO SAUNDERS, bass
PETER WOOD, keyboards and accordion
FRED MAHER, drums

Set List:
Sweet Jane
I'm Waiting for the Man
Martial Law
Down at the Arcade
Legendary Hearts
There She Goes Again
Turn Out the Light
My Red Joystick
Sally Can't Dance
Average Guy
Walk on the Wild Side
Satellite of Love
New Sensations
Sunday Morning
Underneath the Bottle
A Gift
Doin' the Things That We Want To
Waves of Fear
I Love You Suzanne
White Light/White Heat
Turn to Me
New Age
Street Hassle
Rock & Roll


March 23, 1989 Saint James Theater


MIKE RATHKE, guitar
ROB WASSERMAN, bass
ROBERT MEDICI, drums

Set List:
Romeo Had Juliette
Halloween Parade
Dirty Blvd.
Endless Cycle
There Is No Time
Busload of Faith
Strawman
Dime Store Mystery
I Love You Suzanne
Doin' the Things That We Want To
Rock & Roll
Video Violence
Sweet Jane
Walk on the Wild Side
The Original Wrapper


John Zorn - Lou Reed - Marc Ribot - Milford Graves LIVE NY September 4th 2008, Le poissonrouge, New York City


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the memorial comments and recollections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this, B. Also, I didn't know you were a product of the SUNY system. I did time at SUNY-Binghamton and SUNY-Buffalo.

    ReplyDelete