Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Lately Listening

1. US Steel Cello Ensemble, Bitter Suites (Holidays LP): Long overdue reissue. Sounds great. You guys should pick this one up.
2. Pelt, Effigy (MIE 2LP): Thanks to Bill for turning me on to this jammer.
3. Kukouka Rinji & Urabe Masayoshi, Barcelona Express Live 2004 (8mm LP): Wild and peaceful.
4. New Jooklo Age, August Two Thousand Ten (Sloow Tapes CS): The craziest new age music ever. Totally unsettling.
5. Sinergia Elettronica, Live Blob (Troglosound CS): Jooklo synth jamage.
6. Sinergia Elletronica, Dimensione Parallela (Troglosound CS): Sounds like the jungle scene from Forbidden Planet.
7. Es., Void (PSF CD): Holy shit this is good. Sax player destroys. You guys should seek this one out.
8. David S. Ware Quartet, Live in Vilnius (NoBusiness 2LP): Great recording of great playing
9. Albert Ayler, Love Cry (Impulse! LP)
10. Willie Lane, Recliner Ragas (Humito LP): Really need more Willie Lane. Seems difficult to find, though.
11. Bill Dixon/Aaron Siegel/Ben Hall, Weight/Counterweight (Editions Broken Research 2LP): Dusted this off after listening to Jeremiah Cymmerman's podcast with Nate Wooley. Great conversation about how older players adapt and change as they age and lose some chops. Always liked the sparseness of this album.
12. Angel Olsen, Strange Cacti (Bathetic EP): Very strange to hear her voice live and confirm that it comes from a human being
13. Zu, The Way of the Animal Powers (Public Guilt LP): Sounds dated.
14. Anthony Braxton Quartet, The Coventry Concert (West Wind LP): One of my favorite Braxton groups.
15. Ornette Coleman, Crisis (Impulse! LP):
16. Frank Wright, Shouting the Blues (Sun LP): Too much shouting the blues. But I can't get enough of Frank Wright's tone.
17. Frank Wright, Kevin, My Dear Son (Sun LP): More sax on this one.
18. Luc Ferrari, Presque Rien (Recollections GRM 2LP): Lots of revelations spinning this on the new table.
19. Old and New Dreams, Playing (ECM LP): Cherry, Redman, Haden, Blackwell. Enjoyed this album a lot more than I remembered. Great rendition of Broken Shadows.
20. Bill Orcutt, How the Thing Sings (Editions Mego LP): Jammer.
21. Paul Flaherty, Aria Nativa (Family Vineyard LP): Flaherty in solo mode is a thing of beauty.
22. Bill Orcutt, A History of Every One (Editions Mego LP): Wow. Orcutt has been killing it for the past 3-4 years.
23. DKV + Gustafsson/Pupillo/Nilssen-Love, SCHL8HOF (Trost LP): Starts off with an aural assault. More nuance as the record continues. Not sure I was in the right headspace when I listened to this.
24. Roscoe Mitchell/Tony Marsh/John Edwards, Improvisations (Otoroku 2LP): Roscoe Mitchell is a national treasure.
25. Bernard Parmegniani, De Natura Sonorum (Recollections GRM 2LP): Wow. I think this may be my favorite entry in the GRM reissue series. Don't sleep on this.

5 comments:

  1. As Mr. T says, “I don’t know where Mr. P gets this stuff”. I know some of this stuff but I got more comments than unusual after this rare double long list of goodies from Mr. P.
    Where to start
    Jooklo new age on cassette – if anyone questioned who the coolest 3A is; the competition is over. Total hipster!
    Mr. P is not only the top hipster but also the master vinyl finder because of the following: Sinergia Elettronica (never knew existed), Urabe on 8mm, Counterweight (a hard find), and TWO Frank Wrights on Sun; YOHZA,
    I’m all in on the PELT fellas. I just went on Midheaven mail order and got more Appalachian drone raga jams for individual members of PELT. They are mountain boy from the Commonwealth and thus looking forward to crossing their path. I’m interested in Willie Lane but still getting through the Fahey box. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm never sure whether I am pleased or disappointed to recognize anything on P's list(s). ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill, you should check Eclipse Records for some OOP Pelt. And in keeping with my chief hipster status, I got Weight/Counterweight directly from the label when it dropped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I count myself a Bill Dixon fan, I found "Counterweight " did not send a rush of blood to the head. It'll get another listen eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same here. Listening to it within the context of the Jeremiah Cymmerman/Nate Wooley podcast helped me approach it from a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete